Sunday, January 25, 2009

Wellness Wedne... Sunday????

Is it Sunday already? What on earth??? I swear the world must be spinning faster these days... Or was is just because I spent 3 of the 7 days of this past week waiting on roofing contractors... hmmm... I wonder...

Well, this week, lesson learned number ONE would be, not to wait on others. All of that waiting really screwed up my average this week! I didn't want them to show up and either be on the elliptical or in the shower... so I waited and waited and before I knew it, the day was over, we had guests for dinner, and the night was gone! UGH! And THEN when they did come, it took all of 30 minutes for them to re-seal the vent!!! They could have at least sat up there and made me think it took a long time to fix!

Lesson 2: I know for some people, taking a break is a good thing... but for me, I've learned that it just distracts me. This week I'm starting to add some strength training. I'll do this 3 days a week, but as for the cardio, I think it will work better for me to just make it part of my morning routine. That way, there's no question in my mind about whether or not I need to work out.

Lesson 3: SHOES MATTER! A little background. I had some severe lumbar problems starting in college... 3 bulging disks and a continuing hip rotation problem. I also have an extra vertebrae, with not enough space to allow it to move properly. All that really means is that I had mind-numbing pain. I went to a chiropractor for 5 or 6 days a week for almost 2 years to fix it. And didn't have much relief until I had my first c-section and they did my epidural. Sweet relief...

Anyway, I had to start really paying attention to the types of shoes I wear. Hard leather style flip-flops are a HUGE no no. As are strappy shiny heels... :-( . I didn't really think there was much of a difference in tennis shoes until about a year and a half ago. In comes ASICS. Did you know that women have a higher rate of underpronation? That's when the outside edge of your foot carries most of the shift of weight when you are walking/running. It's something to do with the angle of your hip vs. the point of where your foot falls... I have a higher arch too. ASICS Gel Cumulus shoes are my absolute favorite. My feet just love these shoes. New Balance shoes work good for walking around for me, but for serious work (and Disney!), I need my ASICS. I just got my new ones in from Zappos.com. And Ahhhh... new shoes. You should replace your shoes about every 6 months. That way you are ensured the proper support.

If you have a question about the proper shoe for your foot/stride I HIGHLY suggest going to a specialty sports shoe place. Ask a couple of questions of the salesguy to see if he has any sense... if he doesn't - try another shop. I had Joe in Mandeville. He was fabulous. He was also the first person to measure my foot since I was like 10. He even *gasp* held. my. foot. And pressed on it. He pulled a couple of different types of shoes for me to try and even bumped me up 1/2 a size. As soon as I put on the ASICS, I knew it was the right shoe for me.

I hope that if you are working hard to better your health that you take a few moments to thank God for his support in your quest to renovate your Temple! Keep up all of the good work, take each day one step at a time, and move!!!

I don't glisten, I sweat!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I DID wonder what happened to Wellness Wednesday, but wasn't going to tease you for falling off the bandwagon until next week if there still wasn't a post:)

And I certainly NEVER heard someone so happy for an epidural, ha!

I'm going to have to look into those shoes, I also have overpronate feet. Mine are also wide and short, I'm a 5.5 so shoe finding is a hassle! Haven't worn cute heels in years!