Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Your Birth Verse

Recently a friend of mine sent me an email with a link to http://www.birthverse.com where I could look up my birthday. My birthday is August 21st, and this is what it said:

Proverbs 8:21 NIV bestowing wealth on those who love me and making their treasuries full.

I found this pretty surreal given the fact that I've always tried to find ways to give back to those in more need than myself. (Not to mention my incessant need to give away anything that people ask me for!) Even through elementary school projects I have always felt a sense of fulfillment in giving. I believe we are given a divine responsibility to do for others.

Over the holidays a friend and I organized a food drive for the local food bank. She had witnessed a mother and her children turned away because they lacked the needed items to provide for them. Now, we live in an upper middle class area... Why on EARTH would wouth the food bank not have enough to feed this woman and her little family! I think it's because we are so unaware of what's going on around us. We are so focused on our own lives and believe that someone else will take care of it. We forget that there are thousands of working poor who struggle to meet their families needs on a day to day basis.

This all leads me to the new organization I found. It's called the Modest Needs Foundation. They receive applications from people who are in need and help gather money from those willing to help. The requests for help are well researched and verified. Also, if there are organizations like the Salvation Army who can offer their assistance, Modest Needs will help those in need get in touch with the right people who can help. I just set up an account for a weekly donation. When you do a reoccurring donation, there is a matching fund, so you're able to give more help to those who need it. Anyway, with my meager donation I was able to help a woman pay for the gas she needed to bring her recently molested daughter to the Dr. appointments that she needs. You can seek out Military families in need of assistance, elderly people who need help paying for their medications, battered women who are struggling to pay rent to leave their abusive relationships... and the list goes on.

If you are so inclined to help, please go to the link on the side of my page and find out how you can help make a real difference in someones life. It only takes a few minutes and may be just what someone needs to get them through the day.

No comments: