Monday, July 7, 2008

Is it just me

Or do we not always recognise the value of our passions.

I was just updating my link list and ran across A Spoon Full of Sugar's posting on her new work space. It made me think about how sometimes, as a wife and mom, I push myself to the back of the line. Not always, just sometimes. I HAVE to have a cup of coffee and some quiet time each morning, and I will ALWAYS read every evening, so that's not going to change. But when it comes to doing something you love, do you put it aside because it's "not that important?"

It took me a while to totally take over my girls overrun playroom for my studio. I sort of felt guilty about unloading all of those underused toys. But then, when I gave myself permission to spread out and revel in the idea of a space to call my own, I still held back. I didn't paint, I used things I had or found cheap ways to make due. Is a sewing room, just a sewing room? - ooo... that felt SO Carrie Bradshaw just then... ;-)

I think that by pushing our own heart's desire to the backburner, we are teaching our daughters the invaluable lesson of being a good doormat. We should foster their creative passions, and include them with our own. Yes, there are times when I go in my room to escape. But there are also times when I love to see the wheels turning in their own creative little minds. I think they need to know that the passions in their own lives are worthwhile. I hope that when they are older and maybe considering what they want to be when they "grow up", following their passions would be second nature by then. It may help them find the great love in their life. It may help them leave a not so great love. I think that by valuing our own selves, we teach them that it's ok to follow your heart and let it lead you to wonderful places. I hope that my girls learn quite early on to listen to where their heart is guiding them to. Hopefully, they will find places that fill their hearts and warm their soul.

Have a lovely creative summer day!

10 comments:

Vana said...

Holly,

I love this post. It speaks to me in so many ways! I think you are an amazing woman, mother and wife....and a great new friend. So happy to have found you!

Corrie said...

Just what I needed today. Okay, I'll help my girls with their passions :-), one is trying to paint on paper with sidewalk chalk & the other is trying to figure out how many of her masterpieces she'll enter in the fair. Thanks, Corrie

Liz said...

Thank you for the inspiring post. I needed to hear this.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What a beautiful thought provoking post! It struck a chord with me as I have a tendency to always put myself last - I think that is why I have been very excited about my new space, which will also provide opportunities for my daughter to indulge in creative pursuits.

Jenaveve said...

Haha, we're all invoking a little bit of Carrie Bradshaw when we blog, do we not? And thank god for her too (well, her character) because this is the inner voice that we all need to keep going, to question ourselves, our beliefs and evaluate just how well we are treating ourselves.

I love this post; really got me thinking.

Lori Jolley said...

I saw your blog featured on Today's Creative Blog! How exciting!
And thank you for the pin cushion! I love it! I will use it a lot!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Hey I found you on Today's creative blog. What a great sight you have! Especially today's post! Wow did that hit home. In your honor I am going to stay up till Midnight (not easy for me we live on a farm) and clean my sewing craft room. Yipeee. I love all the things you said and boy were they ALL true. Let's unite and do something fun! I'm making popcorn. I will come back and see what other amazing words of wisdom you have. OK maybe I will just stay up till 11.
Blessings, Debbie
ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are so right. I have two daughters and two sons. When I take time for my passions, I think it teaches all of them valuable lessons.-Amy

carol said...

Following your heart's desire always brings joy...not only to you, but those around you too!!!

Kristin said...

Amen!